Tuesday, February 3, 2015

CHICKEN CHOW MEIN :)

CLICK HERE: PRINT RECIPE
I love CHINESE FOOD - A big fan.  I always crave it on Mondays when the chinese restaurant in town is closed. That being said, my family always made our own chow mein recipe when I was a kid.  A few years ago, I begged my uncle for the recipe and have made it ever sense.  Why spend money on take out?  You can make it for cheap with ingredients that most people have sitting in the fridge or pantry.  Well, with the exception of the chow mein vegetables. That being said, I never know when the craving is going to hit, so I try to keep a few cans in my pantry.  The first time I made it for Brennon he loved it - so I am hoping that if you try it, you will love it too. 

This Recipe is Courtesy of Greg McCloud. 
He would tell you to throw all the ingredients in the pan and cook it - 
I think I should probably break down the recipe for you.




INGREDIENTS: 

- 2-3 chicken breasts
- 8-10 mushrooms sliced
- 1/2  onion diced
- 2 stalks of celery sliced thin
- 2 T soy sauce
- 1 tsp minced garlic OR garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 T oil
- 2 cans chicken broth
- 2 (14 oz) cans Chop Suey Vegetables (chow mein vegetables drained) -  
- 4 T cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water

 Remember, I am a pinch of this, dash of that cook - so add more or less to taste.

DIRECTIONS:
1. Heat oil in wok until hot.

2. Add chicken (cut in 1 inch chunks), mushrooms (sliced), onion(diced), celery (diced) all at once.

3. Add minced garlic, pepper and soy sauce.  Stir well.

4. Cook on high 5 minutes or until chicken is nice white color.  Lower temperature to medium.  
    Cook for 5-10 more minutes until veggies are tender and chicken is cooked through.


5. Add chicken broth and chow mein vegetables (drained), return heat to high and bring
    to a boil.

6. Mix corn starch and water and then stir into the chow mien.   

7. When chow mein is desired thickness remove from heat.




8. Make rice according to directions.

8. Pour chicken chow mein over rice (optional).

Bean Sprouts and Water Chestnuts
9. Serve and Enjoy!


Other options - Sometimes I add an extra can of bean sprouts, water chestnuts or bamboo shoots (drained) to the mixture.  It really  just depends how I am feeling when buying the ingredients.





Maybe I should find an egg roll recipe now...


JASER APPROVED! 

 What can I say - I made the kid beef macaroni and he refused to eat.  
He wanted sautéed mushrooms and bean sprouts. 
AND HE LOVED IT.



ENJOY :)





No comments:

Post a Comment