Sunday, December 30, 2012

Ice Cream Cake and Emalie's Birthday

So December 28th was my cousin Emalie's birthday!  And Dairy Queen Ice Cream Cake is her favorite... Or so I am told.  Well in Creston, our DQ closes from Christmas until Spring - So how was I going to get her the perfect Ice Cream Cake?  Well at noon on Saturday the 29th, I decided I should make one.  Well, after a quick run to the store to buy the items needed... it was 2 pm and I needed to get started!

Here are the ingredients that I needed -  Please be patient with me - I did make this recipe up!

2 packages of Oreos
1 stick of butter (1/2 Cup)
1.75 quart of Vanilla Ice Cream Softened
1.75 quart of Chocolate Ice Cream Softened
2 jars of Hot Fudge Topping
1 container of Cool Whip
Sprinkles, Whipped Cream or Any Item to Decorate Cake :)


1.  First Gather all Ingredients - In my case, that is a last minute trip to the store!

2.  Melt Stick of Butter in Microwave.




3.  Crush one package of Oreos - Approximately 36 -  I put all cookies into a large ziplock bag and used a rolling pin.  You want smaller crumbs.. not just broken cookies!


4.  Mix Oreo crumbs and butter together and press into the bottom of a 9X13 pan.  Put in freezer for 30 minutes.



5.  After 30 minutes - Bring crust out. Time for the Chocolate Ice Cream -  My ice cream wasn't softened enough, so I defrosted in the microwave for approximately 2 minutes.  Some was runny and some was soft, so I used a mixer to blend the soft and runny together making a smooth consistency like soft serve ice cream.  I poured the ice cream over the crust.  Back in the freezer for at least one hour.


6.  Now is a great time to begin the second layer - Back to the Oreos and the ziplock bag.  Crush the 2nd bag of Oreos with rolling pin. Set aside and continue to wait for the chocolate ice cream to freeze.



7.  Once the ice cream is frozen (don't forget to check the middle) spread the crushed Oreos over the first layer.  Put back in the freezer for 15 minutes.  You may not need all of the Oreos in this step.  That is okay - set them aside you may want them later.



8.  Next is the hot fudge.  Warm the fudge in the microwave according to the directions on the jar.  Mine stated 30 seconds.  While it was warming, I pulled the cake from the freezer and spread the hot fudge over the cookie crumbles.  You must be quick with this step or the hot fudge will start to melt the ice cream creating a mess.  Quickly return to the freezer for 30 minutes.


9.  After the 30 minutes check your fudge.  If you can see ice cream sneaking though your cookie/fudge layer, just add some more of the Oreo crumbs over the ice cream... If you can't see ice cream sneaking though - you were fast, the hot fudge didn't melt the ice cream!  Back in the freezer for 30 minutes.

10.  Soften the Vanilla Ice Cream.  Again I had to use the microwave and the mixer for the right consistency.  It should be soft and easy to pour over the cookie crumbs.  With the mixer, I mixed in a container of Cool Whip.  Once mixed completely, I poured the third layer over the hot fudge/cookie layer.  Back to the freezer for at least an hour!

11.  After an hour, check it.  I added sprinkles and covered it.  You can also add leftover crushed Oreos or whatever you would like to do for decorations.  For the best results,  I would recommend letting it freeze at least overnight! So plan ahead!

Now like I said, this was a last minute idea... We had to travel to Emalie's house for dinner (5:30pm) so after an hour, we covered it and into the trunk we went.  Thankfully it is winter and 28 degrees out so it didn't melt on the 30 minutes there!!  Once there it was softer - so back into the freezer it went.  We let it freeze for 3 more hours.  It was still soft when we went to serve but it was GREAT.  My family stated it was better then the DQ Ice Cream Cake and for 1/2 the price!  


I will definitely be making this for our final Christmas on New Year's Day - So I have to start preparing now to ensure it is absolutely excellent!

Happy 20th Birthday Emalie!  I love you - 

Emalie and Melissa With Homemade Ice Cream Cake!





No comments:

Post a Comment