Thursday, January 29, 2015

Coffee and Mascara

I was checking out my daily dose of Pinterest yesterday and I saw the cutest saying.  "All a Girl Needs is Coffee and Mascara." Followed by the insane question, "Can you make Mascara out of Coffee?"   First, why would you want to?  Second, what would that do to your eyes?  Seriously, for that to be posted, means someone has tried it.   The more I thought about it, the more I liked it.  The saying, not making mascara from coffee grounds.  But, how true is the saying.  The simple things in life are the most important.  I hate to answer the door without either mascara or coffee.  If I don't put makeup on, everyone automatically thinks that I am sick or sad.  So, mascara is a must .... and coffee just makes life better.  There is nothing better then a few minutes for yourself in the morning with a cup of coffee.

What's the point you ask?

Life is way to fast paced and exhausting.  This week, the weather was nice out - well nice for January anyway.  I found myself being more active, attending meetings, running Jase to appointments, and running from place to place.  What I also found, as the more active I was, doing the things I enjoyed, the more it took me away from my family, and the simple things that I have enjoyed since bringing Jase home.  Technology is better then ever, and it seems to take over our lives.  I feel like I am guilty of letting technology rule my life.  When I am home bound, it seems to be the only way that I stay connected with friends and family.  When I am away from my family, my iPhone or iPad is attached to me. Thoughts of...What if something were to happen and my family needed me and couldn't reach me?

There has to be a balance.  Why haven't I found it?

What happened to a written letter?  When was the last time that you opened the mail to see the written word of a friend or family member.  Or better yet, when have you sent one? My email is on my phone, I can respond in a matter of minutes. Text message allows me to ask or answer a question without having to dial a number.  My phone is by my bed at night and my iPad is the last thing I look at before I go to bed, because I  read each night.  (Well ok, the last thing I look at is the baby monitor.)  I know it is convenient to have a cell phone - but now everyone has one, and it makes us  way to available.  The comment, "I know she has a cell phone, why doesn't she answer it?"  For me, I hate answering my phone.  It is usually on silent and I glance at it throughout the day and respond as necessary.  This is kind of ironic since I always seem to have it with me.

And, my next rambling thought - when did everything become about money?  When did it matter how much money you have, or how many cars you own, how nice your house is?  When did making a dollar mean more then spending time with the ones you love.  I know that I have been guilty of this.  Before Jase was born, I worked to much, and worried to much about how I would pay for this or that,  or I had to have the newest electronic or try to update my home.  I chose going to work over a family dinner - and I thought that was appropriate.  Now, I am poor, but I am happy.  We live paycheck to paycheck, and sometimes my water bill is late so that I can pay my mortgage.  I haven't updated a thing in my house (except my carpet, which was a necessity for Jase's allergies) and I still have the iPhone that I received prior to Jase leaving the hospital. Nope, it's true, I didn't upgrade to the iPhone 6.  I spend almost as much money on Jase/my insurance then I do on our house payment... (I have a problem with that!)  I have a nice home, it has 4 outer walls, a roof and it is warm.  I have a lot of family - all of whom love us and care for us, and we have plenty to eat.  I am definitely not wasting away, and honestly could probably stand to skip a few meals.  #noexcusesmama

Still what's the point?

My point, life is to short.  I am going to try and take life slower.  I am going to worry less and love more.  I will turn my phone off while having dinner with my family.  I want Jase to realize that he has two parents to play with.... not two parents and a couple of iPads.  I will turn the television off every afternoon and spend quality time reading and playing instead of having the television on for background noise or trying to multi-task while playing.   I will check social media when Jase is napping (like right now) and spend more time reading books to Jase then cleaning the kitchen.  We will walk to Great Grandma's house for lunch and spend time visiting and we will send letters and pictures to family who may not have Facebook.  We will sit outside on a nice evening, playing or going for walks instead of watching the Big Bang Theory.  If, I am going exercise and make my health and staying healthy a priority, I also need to simplify.  I need to remember what makes me happy and do it.  I need to remove negativity from my life and not let others anger affect me.  This doesn't mean there isn't room for work, for technology, or for cell phones - because there is. There just has to be MORE time for love, family and friends.   

I just have to find my balance.  

 I know this won't happen overnight....
but, most definitely part of my goal for 2015.


That being said - I am not giving up Coffee, Mascara or YOU!
Love, Melissa




No comments:

Post a Comment